UNEUIXI RIVER: NEW EXCLUSIVE TROPHY FISHERY
Only fishery with a proven record of 8 trophies above 20lbs. for one angler!
We are very happy to announce that one of River Plate Angler´s independent Brazilian operators was selected by local Indian tribes and Brazilian authorities for the exclusive fishing rights to the upper Uneuixi River. The reserve is one of the last vestiges of untouched trophy peacock bass fishing in the Amazon.
The lower part of the concession was last fished by our groups in 2005. Alan Zaremba of Hollywood, Florida landed eight peacocks over 20 pounds with the largest 24 pounds, during the 2nd week of November 2005. The upper half of the concession has never been sport-fished. Both sections have many lagoons and oxbow lakes.
The river fishes best mid-August through November—the normal low-water season.
We have improved logistics to access and operate in these extremely remote areas. Very shallow-draft tunnel barges enable us to stage supplies and fuel closer to the camp.
To minimize fishing pressure we are limiting the Uneuixi to a maximum of 72 anglers
PROFIT SHARING WITH THE BARÉ, BANIWA ...
Community based preservation management:
Uneuixi tribes: Roçado( 25 families), São Joaquim ( 23 families)
Tribes include the following ethnicities : Baré, Baniwa, Tukano, Piratapuia, Dessana, Tariano, Nadeb, Arapasso
In the General Assembly held in June 15 – 17, 2018, after a thorough analisis of all documentation that was presented by the participants of the bid for the exclusive sport-fishing rights for the Uneuixi river, and with the invaluable technical support of the organizations: ACIMRN, FOIRN, ISA, FUNAI and IBAMA, also under the supervision of the Federal Public Ministry of Amazonas (MPF – AM), the communities Roçado e São Joaquim da Terra Indígena Uneuixi, selected among several proposals, the River Plate Anglers associate operators to operate in association with the communities the upper Uneuixi in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of the bidding process.
Totally embedded in River Plate Anglers environmental and social policies this new operation will also abide by the following considerations:
- To minimize fishing pressure we are limiting the Uneuixi to a maximum of 72 anglers.
- Absolutely no camp consumption fish sacrifice will be allowed, enhancing still further the catch and release policy.
- Ambitious training programs will be established for guides, staff, fresh vegetable production, guards, etc. among the communities. Reinforcing the preservation of community based management policies.
- Local production of fresh vegetables to supply the operation and benefit communities will be implemented with the aid of technical expertise.
- Fairly remunerated employment opportunities for the members of the 48 families, as staff, guides, guards, agriculture entrepreneurs, etc.
- Direct profit sharing with the operators of the sport fishing business using the local resources.
Read further on River Plate social development policies in: